Michael Jackson
I'm probably the last blogger on earth to get around to mentioning Michael Jackson's untimely death, but here goes...
I'm surprisingly sad about the death of Michael Jackson. I suppose a very large part of it is that I lost my mother at a young age (I was 27 and my mom was almost 44 when she passed away) and my heart breaks thinking of Michael's children growing up without their primary parent. We might have judged Michael's behaviors as strange but to those three children he was just "dad."
Another part of Michael Jackson dying is realizing how fast our time on earth passes - some times it seems like 1983 was last week. I vividly remember Michael Jackson's 'Thriller' busting on the scene during my sixth grade year. I know he was a popular musician before 'Thriller,' but to me, 'Thriller' is when he became a superstar. The songs, the dancing, all of it...I mean the guy could make high water pants and a single sequined glove look hot and spark instant fashion trends! I saved baby-sitting dollars to purchase my own vinyl copy of 'Thriller' and I neatly clipped his pictures from my teenage magazines,plastering my bedroom walls with his images. My favorite Michael Jackson poster featured him in a very preppy yellow outfit. In 1983 there weren't 'weird rumors' or overtly bizarre behaviors exhibited by Michael Jackson - he was just awesomely talented and delighted us with his passion for music and dance. I suppose Michael Jackson is symbolic of simpler times for my generation - "how many quarters could be found to play Donkey Kong or Pac-Man at the bowling alley arcade" instead of "how much money did my 401k lose this quarter?"
In my opinion, Michael Jackson defined the MTV generation. Seriously, the video for 'Thriller?' Still awesome. Not many movies let alone music videos can stand the test of almost 30 years.
Michael Jackson had a huge part in defining charitable works for my generation. The video for 'We are the World'...seriously, I get chills to this day when I see all of those oddly matched people joining together to make a difference.
I have watched bits and pieces of Michael's memorial service. Of course it was touching to hear the stories told by friends and family, but the moment that took my breath away was when Jennifer Hudson appeared to sing 'Will You be There.' Jennifer has lived through unimaginable hell the past year and I cannot even begin to understand how she has found the strength to go on. But she has gone on, and soon she will be a mother, for some reason I find that oddly comforting. Her spin on Michael's song gives me goosebumps - from both her talent and the appropriate song that she sang for the mourners around the world.
From what I remember, this song was part of the 'Free Willy' movie of the early 1990's. I remember driving my youngest sister, Colleen home from gymnastics one evening and this song came on the radio. Colleen bopped her head and sang along with the radio as best a 7 year old can and near the end of the song she looked at me thoughtfully and said "I just LOVE that song." And I loved watching her get lost in the moment.
Michael Jackson will be missed. He changed the landscape of American pop culture for more than one generation. Sadly, we're left wondering how many more songs he could have added to the soundtrack of our lives.
Hold me, like the river Jordan
And I will then say to thee
You are my friend
Carry me, like you are my brother
Love me like a mother
Will you be there…
Weary, tell me will you hold me
When wrong, will you scold me
When lost will you find me?
But they told me a man should be faithful
And walk when not able
And fight till the end, but I’m only human.
Everyone taking control of me
Seems that the world’s
Got a role for me I’m so confused
Will you shoulder me you’ll be there for me
And care enough to bear me
(Hold me) (lay your head lowly)
(Softly then boldly) (carry me there)
(Hold me) (love me and feed me)
(Kiss me and free me) (I will feel blessed)
(Carry) (carry me boldly) (life me up slowly)
(Carry me there) (save me) (heal me and bathe me)
(Softly you say to me) (I will be there)
(Lift me) (lift me up slowly)
(Carry me boldly) (show me you care)
(Hold me) (lay your head lowly)
(Softly then boldly) (carry me there)
(Need me) (love me and feed me)
(Kiss me and free me) (I will feel blessed)
Spoken : In our darkest hour, in my deepest despair
Will you still care? Will you be there?
In my trials and my tribulations
Through our doubts and frustrations
In my violence and my turbulence
Through my fear and my confessions
In my anguish and my pain
Through my joy and my sorrow
In the promise of another tomorrow
I’ll never let you part for you’re always in my heart
Labels: Sad stuff





2 Comments:
Michael Jackson was an extremely talented man but he lead a tragic life. I was sorry to hear that he died so young.
I agree, Overwhelmed!
Post a Comment
<< Home