Friday, November 14, 2008

Election stuff

So, it is no secret that I am happy that our President-elect is Barack Obama. I cried tears of joy on 11/04/08 along with millions of others around the world. I realize it is monumental that an African American has become president of the United States but honestly there is so much more to President-elect Obama than his nationality or ethnic background. The admiration I feel for President-elect Obama (and for that matter, his wife, future first lady, Michelle Obama) is based on the sense of hope and the feeling of change inspired by their eloquent speeches.

President John F. Kennedy was assassinated 9 years before I was born but I grew up listening to my parents and grandparents speak of his presidency and the impact he made on our country. The early 60's were a strained time in American history. Vietnam, Civil Rights, the "Cold War" were all serious issues that challenged President Kennedy's administration. But the early 1960's were also a time of change, the era of "Camelot." While we have a somewhat marred image of what President Kennedy was doing in his personal life, surely we can agree that he was a wonderful speaker.

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and success of freedom." John F. Kennedy 1961

"If we cannot end now our differences, at least we can help make the world safe for diversity." John F. Kennedy

"So, let us not be blind to our differences - but let us also direct attention to our common interests and to the means by which those differences can be resolved." John F. Kennedy

And perhaps, most famously: "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." John F. Kennedy, Inaugural address, January 20, 1961

Imagine my delight when I learned that Mr. Marcos was quite familiar with John F. Kennedy and the Kennedy family! Mr. Marcos worked at the John F. Kennedy Library in Boston, Massachusetts for several years. We visited the library in 2004 and I was given the full tour including the beautiful family quarters that are off limits to museum visitors. It was an awe inspiring tour!

Anyway, my point is that even though I did not live through the Kennedy era, I imagine the same sense of hope and excitement at the "possibilities before us" is being felt by at least 52% of the American population.

I rarely discuss religion on this blog but I do want to address something that is really bothering me regarding the presidential election. I read a lot of blogs, and a lot of those blogs are written by devout Catholics (or other religions that are Pro-life and vote strictly Pro-life).

Without getting into the specific arguments regarding a Pro-life or Pro-choice position I simply want to state to McCain supporters that voted for him specifically because he is Republican and therefore Pro-life, you needed to do more research. Senator McCain is FAR from the Pro-lifer he tried to portray himself as during the election. This pdf is from a VERY conservative website that caters to the Christian homeschool population ("caters" as in sells products specifically for use in Christian homeschool environments). If you would like to link directly to the pdf you can view it here.

So, there is my rant for the day. Back to being happy for the Obamas and excited for our country's future!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Search & Win
FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com
Who Links Here